Monday, June 24, 2013

Remembering Grandma and Grandpa With Moss Roses




I, along with my siblings and numerous cousins, spent a lot of time at Grandma and Grandpa's house growing up. They had a big garden, filled with vegetables and flowers, fruit trees and grapevines. There were also laying hens in the earlier years. It was a wonderland for us young folk, trailing along with Grandpa up and down the rows of veggies and tending to the flowers with Grandma.

As a little girl, I adored Grandma's flowers, but most especially her moss roses. I'm not sure why these humble little flowers, of all the other flowers in Grandma's garden, made such an impression on me. Maybe because they were little like me at the time...maybe because they were a riot of color...maybe because they went to sleep at night and woke up the next morning as the sun coaxed their petals open.

As I write my first ever blog post on my first ever blog, I wanted to start with a remembrance of my beloved Grandma and Grandpa, from whom I presume I inherited my love of gardening. Today I planted the moss roses, pictured above, in the little spot between the AC unit and the sidewalk at the back of the house.

2 comments:

  1. I love moss roses and plant them every spring. The non-stop colors that spring up from such humble plants (as you say) is what I love. The work hard all summer long to please. Happy blog-beginnings!

    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love moss rose, and nice to see you in blogland! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete